Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why I Eat Healthy


This is a topic I've been thinking about blogging about for a while now, but there's so many reasons that go into why I have chosen to live a healthy lifestyle that I'm unsure if I feel comfortable speaking about them all on a blog for anyone to read. Here's what I'm willing to share:

When it comes to living "healthfully" everyone has a different definition.

  • Some people work out a few times a week and eat healthy food once in a while. 
  • Some people work out a lot and eat whatever they want. 
  • Some people like to eat healthy during the week and indulge on the weekends.
I'm not writing this to have an influence on anyone or judge anyone on their "healthy" habits but instead share an insight on mine. 

Living on a college campus and eating most of my meals in the dining hall has shown me why our nation is so unhealthy. The dining halls are filled with pizza and dorm rooms are filled with chips and cookies sent with love from home. Don't get me wrong, enjoying a piece of pizza or a homemade goody with friends is no crime, but eating like this every day can lead to down a path of even more unhealthy choices which lead to weight gain and even to life altering diseases like diabetes and heart disease. 

Before you assume I am judging your diet, you should know that I have been there. Although my family has always eaten healthier than I give them credit for, there was a period of time when seeing three different types of Doritos in the cabinet was not uncommon. Every day in 8th grade I would come home from soccer practice and eat 4 heaping bowls of cereal for dinner. I really had no concept of health at all. 

With that said, I should note that I give my mother full credit for my healthy habits after she decided to make a change not only for herself, but our whole family. Looking to lose a little weight and increase her level of fitness, my mom started cooking healthier, eating healthier and working out, all while encouraging our family to do the same. Since that point in time, we've been known as the "healthy house", a last-choice stop for my friends to gather because of our lack of junk food to munch on!

1. I have been able to see first-hand the effects of what an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to. 
Being interested in nutrition since high school, I have always paid more attention to health magazines and documentaries geared towards eating healthy. I think its amazing that so many people wait until they are diagnosed with diabetes or told by a doctor that if they continue their current habits their life will end, to change their diets. In addition, I have members of my own family that have battled with their weight and the health problems that come with being overweight. Because of my family history, it is important that I pay close attention to what I am putting into my body or I, too could easily end up with some of the health problems my family has been battling for years.

2. I like to keep my body "on top of it's game"
Eating a healthy diet allows me to work out harder and fight off the many germs that are floating around college campuses. When I am eating right I feel like I have an edge on my competition whether i'm competing against the road, the elliptical or the sniffles.

3. I feel better.
Eating heavily processed food makes me feel like crap. Plain and simple. I think that once your body becomes accustomed to eating wholesome foods made from real ingredients it starts acting weird when you try to throw chemicals into it. Eating a bunch of junk food as an excuse for a busy week only makes me feel more sluggish and less productive so I try to stick to the same foods every day and have a plan before I am distracted by the mountain of brownies at the dining hall.

4. I am investing in myself. 
I am a firm believer in preventative medicine and think that before you spend tons of money on antibiotics to lower your cholesterol- which will lead to side effects in other areas of your life- you should try to do things naturally. I know that a lot of health issues can be solved by taking action early and even though committing to at least one sweat session every day and a diet full of real food won't prevent me from being hit by a truck while crossing the street, it can help me avoid diabetes or a heart attack later in life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment