Friday, October 21, 2011

The Awkward Stage


A few nights ago my friends an I were talking about that period of time from about 7th-10th grade that almost everything about you is awkward. It happens to (almost) everyone and varies on a scale of awkwardness.

Back then, I don't think I realized that looking a little off is something we were all going through and as much as hard as I strived to look like some of the "cooler", older girls there just was no escaping my period of awkward.

Beautiful inside and out? Yeah right...that rule certainly didn't apply to this awkward little chicken....or so I thought.

It's taken some time, but I've finally come to terms with that concept and through investing in my own self worth and practicing some self love.

When I was in high school I would stand in front of the mirror and only see the huge pimple on my forehead or dwell on the fact that I wasn't wearing the same hot brands as the "popular" girls. I was super uncomfortable with my changing body and hated my braces, frizzy hair and lanky legs. I remember thinking "I wish I had this girls wardrobe" or "If only my nose was small like hers" I could maybe be pretty...

SCREW IT.

I like myself. I like my smile post-braces and i've learned how to manage my wild mane. Maybe my ass is a little big, but without it I'd never be able to power up hills or fill out a pair of pants! I like that I've inherited the Tully family humor and that have learned the meaning of hard work from my Step-Dad. I am a spitting image of my mother and even though I may cringe when you tell me this, I honestly don't hate it (shhhh, don't tell her that!)

Try and bring me down about my looks or my personality. I honestly dare you. I am who I am. I love who I am and I'm not changing for anyone but myself.

Being boastful is not the objective here whatsoever. I'll admit that I, too have days where I have to remind myself that I have some awesome things going for me and not to let a bad attitude get in the way of that.

Sometimes the Regina George comes out in me and I suddenly feel like "I really need to lose __ pounds." But most of the time I am genuinely happy with what God has given me.

Now, to anyone reading this PLEASE share something about you that you absolutely love. What's your favorite part of your body and even more importantly, what's your favorite part of you, that makes you, YOU!? Don't be shy kids! There's nothing wrong with being proud of what you've accomplished, where you came from and who you are. I think we all can remind ourselves a little more how great we really are by saying Hey, I'm awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment