Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cold Weather Essentials


Being cooped up inside all day because of harsh New England weather sucks, but running outside in harsh New England weather sucks even more, unless you're well prepared. 

When I ran outside in sub 30 degree weather for the first time I remember it as an absolutely miserable experience. Running has always been an awesome outlet for me to get rid of bad tempers and pissy moods, but that experience left me wondering if running had lost its charm...thank God I was wrong! 

After returning from my run I had was covered in splotchy red spots and wanted nothing but to throw myself into a pot of boiling water and cook like the human lobster I appeared to be. There had to be a better way to do this. Cooping myself up all winter was not an option and shouldn't be for you either! Thanks to the wonderful world of running gear, we can stay warm on the run without overheating! 

Since i'm no stranger to a budget, and realize how expensive popular running goods can get, I've complied a list of bare essentials to keeping your body cozy and your style cool when you hit the pavement this winter! 

1. Gloves 
Invest in a good pair of these bad boys, your hands will thank you. Extremities get cold the fastest and a good pair of gloves will keep those little piggies nice and toasty. I've had this Under Armour pair since high school and I swear by them since my hands get cold very easily, but lots of runners I know prefer the cheap $1 pair from Walmart since gloves can be lost just as easily as a pair of socks!

2. Hat/Head Wrap
You probably already have a hat that will work just fine! Hats that you buy from a specialty running store will serve the same purpose as you're favorite sledding hat so save your cash for a new pair of quality trainers instead!

3. Warm Running Tights 
Since most of us don't work out in sub freezing temperatures, this is something you should seriously consider investing in. You really only need one or two pairs. Once again, Under Armour produces another cold weather favorite of mine, these! Make sure to check the racks at Target for similar materials for even cheaper!

4. Thermal Tops
Pick up a few thermal tops before you're stuck wearing a t-shirt on a blistery November day! I really like ones that are tighter to lock out any wind and long enough to tuck into my tights (another windy weather trick) Make sure the tops you choose are sweat wicking or you'll end your run feeling like you gained ten pounds! Just because it's cold doesn't mean you'll stop sweating. 

5. 1/4 Zip Ups 
Invest in a warm, lightweight zip up that you can shed and tie around your waist if you get too hot. Layering pieces like this are key in New England since weather men are often incompetent and we never really know what we'll be faced with until we step out the door! 


No comments:

Post a Comment