Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baby I'm Back!

So I know I've been MIA on the blog scene for a little while but baby I'm back and I plan on trying my best to keep up with some fun weekly posts for my dedicated followers like Ali Tyburski and Becka Fillion! Wanna know what I've been up to in the 4 months between my last post? Keep reading!

Learning
So for those of you that don't know me I'm a sophomore nutrition and wellness major at the University of New Hampshire. Since the summer i've been in New Hampshire (haven't had a change to get home yet- miss you Mom and Dad!) doing tons of fun stuff and...learning. Here's what my course load looks like this semester:

General Chemistry
Gen. Chemistry Lab
Food and Beverage Management
Food and Beverage Management Lab
Psychology Statistics
Anthropology

To be honest this semester is pretty brutal. Mostly only because of chem which is significantly harder than watching Mythbusters everyday like we did in high school. Other than chemistry though, i like all my classes and don't find anything too challenging. UNH is awesome and although sometimes I miss home I love being here so much!

Go Wildcats! 


Working!
With the end of summer also came the end of my summer job and the end of my flow of income. Since Durham (the town UNH is located in) is pretty much a college town, there aren't a ton of jobs here besides things like working in the dining hall or making coffee at Dunkin Donuts for tired and hungover students. Neither of these sounded like any fun to me so I tweaked my resume a bit and applied to a few health-realted work study jobs and hoped for the best. Weeks went by without any response and I was convinced I'd either be 1. absolutely poor or 2. wiping tables and making omelettes ate the dining hall. Then, a miracle occurred. I got an email requesting an interview for a research position in the nutrition department!

I pulled myself together in an acceptable outfit, prepped a few possible interview questions and prayed to the work study gods that I would get the job...and I did! Since being employed I've learned a ton about the work that goes into performing a valid research study! I absolutely love my job and thank those work study gods every night before I go to bed for saving me from the poor-house!

Writing!
Since I was in middle school and Mr. Goby told me that I should try to be published in a local magazine I have wanted to do just that. I really do love writing and sometimes think I might even have a knack for it. Recently I started writing for the Her Campus branch at UNH and it's been so fun! The girls who run it are awesome and the girls who write for Her Campus are super talented, shout out to my HC fam! Each week Her Campus UNH posts a few articles about basic college struggles from what boots are best for fall to how to avoid getting sick in the dorms. If you've never checked out Her Campus I would certainly recommend giving it a look and be sure to check out the UNH page too! Here are the links:
Her Campus UNH
My Her Campus Articles



HC Love!

Volunteering!
When I came to school this year I promised myself I would get more involved with helping others and focus less on myself. It can really never hurt to humble yourself and I knew volunteering would do just that. But where should I volunteer? Thankfully, UNH's website provides a wealth of information on where you can volunteer and what each volunteer job entails. I contacted a few places and decided on the wonderful Waysmeet Center. The Waysmeet Center is our campus' ministry and is also the home to our campus food pantry. They also put on community dinners and provide students with outreach programs for the ethnic and LGBTQ community. It's basically a community center that's judgement free and welcomes anyone and everyone. Almost every weekend the center puts on some sort of food related event because lets face it, college kids love to eat! All events are open to anyone in the community and all food is as free as it is tasty- that means it's really free and really tasty! If you're looking for a place to volunteer, hang out or just grab some treats visit Waysmeet and you probably won't ever leave, it's seriously awesome! Check their facebook page for updates on their events! 

Running!
In high school I was a total cross country nerd and was pretty much obsessed with everything and anything that had to do with running. Definitely one of my healthier obsessions thus far. One of the reasons I loved it so much was because as corny as it sounds, you're really in your own world out there on the streets and its an absolutely awesome de-stressor (is that a word?). So I've been trying to run every day for both its physical and mental benefits and find myself feeling pretty lost if i'm not able to get at least 3 miles in. Sometimes that means I'm waking up at 6am to fit a run in before work and I actually look forward to it- sick, I know. Yup, the obsession has returned with a vengence and I don't hate it at all! Expect lots more posts about running and exercising since both are things I think are super important! 


No comments:

Post a Comment