Saturday, July 30, 2011

Things My Best Friend Taught Me...


Usually having a last name that ends in "T" is a total drag, you're called last in during anything important and hearing the term alphabetical order is enough to make anyone from "N" on cringe. But I do have to give credit to the alphabet for one good thing in my life and that's my best friend Ali Tyburski. She too suffers from the end-of-the-alphabet problem and if it weren't for this commonality we might have never met. Let me bring you back: 7th grade, english class I was in the front row and Ali was one behind me. We bonded over not knowing how to do one of our assignments and it's history from there! Through thick and thin this girl has seen me laugh until I cry and cry until I laugh and even though she might not know it, she's taught me a few things along the way.

1. Never be afraid to make a fool out of yourself
Ali was always the more outgoing one in our friendship and never turned down any challenge. If there was a karaoke to be sung, she was singing it and if there was a washing machine halloween costume to wear, she was wearing it. Being around her has showed me that it's fun not to take yourself too seriously and laughing at yourself is a part of life.

2. Cocky isn't cute.
Most of Massachusetts knows Ali as the five-star athlete who can give the guys basketball team a run for their money and break track records without even breaking a sweat, but what they might not know is that  she doesn't put her bragging rights to any use. Never once has she put someone down for running slower than her or not being able to hit a 3 their first try. She's humble beyond belief, allowing her to gain the respect of her coaches and competitors alike. Being cocky isn't Ali's thing and never has been. This trait makes her approachable and fun to be around because frankly, no one likes to listen to someone talk all the things they can do that you can't.

3. When in doubt, get the ice cream out!
It may be hard to believe that such a serious athlete would dabble at the chance to have an all out eating fest for the sake of her best friends broken heart but believe it! Sometimes all a girl needs is a ice cream sundae and a Sex and the City marathon with her best friend to get her mind of things and Ali's always been my go-to girl. Even though I know she doesn't always agree with everything I say it's always nice to know that I have a friend who's willing to eat some feelings and hear me rant! Sound sorta cliche but she's taught me how to be a good listener and not to offer unwanted advice (even though I still manage to slip up sometimes).

4. Save the drama for yo' momma!
We both had our fair share of drama in the past, but finally realized how much unnecessary stress it brings. Ali recently voiced her opinion on drama out-loud and is certainly a worthy method to share! She told me that if someone wants to fight with her for reasons that she doesn't feel are worth her time, she's just going to ignore the issue all together. As to why the entire girl-world come to this realization yet is beyond me, but wasting your energy on pointless drama is going to get a girl nowhere in life and I'm so thankful everyday that I have a friend who believes the same.

5.  Pursue your dreams, and do whats right for YOU.
Not quite sure if I would classify Ali as a homebody but when she made the decision to attend a college in Washington DC she made the decision to leave the small world of Charlton Mass behind, and hasn't looked back since. When you grow up in a small town like we did your parents and your parents parents and pretty much your whole family is based in and around the Central Mass area. For many, leaving this small town is a scary thought driving a whole handful of kids to go no farther than Worcester (20 minutes away). Ali knew she wanted something different and although she would be leaving behind her close-knit family and the group of friends she grew up with she did it anyways. She's been happier than ever since and by doing so has been able to pursue her running career through college and meet tons of new, interesting people. Even when a opportunity brings about a big change that may seem scary or intimidating, TAKE IT because you might regret it for the rest of your life.

Although this may not seem like a lengthy list of lessons, they are ones that I will keep with me for life. By definition, a best friend is "a friend who is closest to you", and while this may be true, my best friend is much more. To me a best friend is someone you can go to with any problem, big or small. Someone who will listen the things that are most important to you, even if they mean nothing at all to them. Someone you can laugh and cry with and someone you can trust with your life. Thanks for everything Al pal! Love you to the moon and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment